You have the power to shape your letter of recommendation!
PICK INDIVIDUALS WHO
- You trust to follow through deadlines
- Have a high opinion of you
- Speak to your character and work ethic
- Professor: Whose class challenged you (not necessarily your best grade)
WHEN TO ASK
- 1 Month in advance ( 3 weeks is OK)
- Email or during office hours
- NEVER BETWEEN CLASSES
WHAT TO PROVIDE
- Grades/classes/research you were apart of
- Description of program, scholarship etc.
AFTER THEY WRITE YOUR LETTER
- ALWAYS WRITE A THANK YOU CARD OR EMAIL
- Update them
REQUESTING LETTER OF REC VIA EMAIL:
Graduate School/ Asking previous supervisor
I hope you are doing well and transitions in the office are going smoothly. As you know, I am in the process of applying for graduate schools in Student Affairs and it is important for me to identify individuals best equipped to write letters of recommendation on my behalf. I believe you have a strong perspective on my experiences and abilities to do well in higher education.
I understand that you have many commitments and responsibilities, however, I hope time will allow for you to assist me in my educational goals. Of course, If you are not able to contribute to a letter, I understand. I am already grateful for all that you have done!
Below are logistics about the programs I’m applying to, as well as my resume. If you need additional information such as transcripts, personal statements or more about the programs, please ask.
[insert program logistics/link and deadline] BOLD DEADLINE